My roommate and I were randomly assigned to each other at the beginning of the year. She's from Lincolnshire, Illinois, and I'm from Peachtree City, Georgia, and neither of us had any idea what to expect. I thought she might be Jewish, she thought I was going to have a southern accent, and we found out later that we were both a little disappointed when we met.
The first few weeks I thought we were really different people, even though she was perfect roommate material, nice, giving, perfectly accommodating. But she mostly hanged out with her high school friends and went to parties in the evenings, so I socialized mostly with other people on my hall.
Now, we are kind of like best friends. Except not all best friends can actually live together compatibly. Everyone warns you going into college that your roommate's probably not going to be your best friend, or even necessarily a friend, so I was totally prepared to tolerate a roommate. But we completely lucked out. Not only are we fantastic roommates and friends, we cannot live on our own. We will go insane. We need each other when one of us comes home late at night after various clubs and is so hyper and stressed that she starts somersaulting instead of walking (ok, that was me). So of course, we're going to room together next year.
At least, that was what we thought until we got assigned one of the later housing signup times. The doubles in our first choice dorm filled up. And then our second. And third. And then all of the doubles on central campus, where our classes are, were filled. So now, we have a plan. We sign up tomorrow at 3:10. There are still plenty of singles available in our 2nd choice dorm that are next to or across from each other. So we shall get 2 single rooms, but there is no way we're going to live in different rooms. Some of these single rooms are bigger than some double rooms, so why not have a sort of bedroom and separate "living" room sort of situation? It may be crazy. It may be technically against the rules. But we are going to try, gosh darn it!
In other news, I am jealous of Europe right now (shout out to my 1 follower). In my French class, we Skype with students in Bordeaux once a week, and ma partenaire said it was -8 ºC! In southern France! Which is apparently around 18 ºF, and it was in the 40s (5-10 ºC) here at the time. This is the opposite of what's supposed to happen! I chose this school because of the cold weather and snow, and we haven't had snow stay on the ground for more than 3 days this entire semester! I am sick of sunshine, and even more sick of this semi-freezing rain thing we've got going on. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to look into grad schools in Canada and Iceland.
No comments:
Post a Comment